Monday, May 01, 2006

Link: The Shrinking Secular Family

[This post was originally published on The Secular Outpost on May 1, 2006. It was republished here on November 7, 2021 with the date manually adjusted to reflect its original publication date.]

World Magazine recently blogged about the "shrinking liberal family." Although I usually disagree with the viewpoint expressed by that magazine, this is one issue where I find myself in agreement with them. In fact, it is something I have been saying for years. I don't claim to have hard statistical evidence, but it has always been my experience that, on average, religious families tend to have more children than non-religious families. Moreover, on average, the largest families are almost always religious whereas couples with no children are more likely to be non-religious.

I'd be interested in hearing from others about whether their observations match mine.